Sunday Roast – or any day roast – The Perfect Roast Gourmet Vegies Chef’s Combo gives you all of the flavour you need – all in one handy pot.
6 small sprigs fresh Rosemary
6 sprigs of fresh Sage
6 sprigs of fresh Thyme
1 tablespoon sea salt (or coarse salt)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1-1.5kg potatoes, cut into halves diagonal
8 shallots, peeled
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200˚C (180˚C fan forced). Place rosemary, sage and thyme in roasting pan, drizzle with oil and cook for 8-10 minutes until dry and crispy. Remove and cool.
- Remove rosemary, sage and thyme leaves from stem and add to mortar and pestle or food processor with the salt. Pulse until the herbs are ground and incorporated into the salt.
- Increase oven temperature to 250C (225C fan forced) and place large baking tray in oven to preheat for potatoes.
- Rub herbed salt over chicken skin. Place chicken on small rack in large baking dish., Cook in oven for about 20 minutes to crisp the skin.
- While chicken is cooking, toss potatoes, shallots, garlic and oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- After 20 minutes, reduce the heat to 180C (160C fan forced). Remove preheated baking tray from oven and scatter the potatoes around the pan in a single layer.
- Place potatoes in oven with chicken and cook a further 45 minutes until cooked through or a thermometer reads 55˚C (as a rule, cook for 20-25 minutes per 500g of weight) and potatoes are crispy and tender.
- Remove chicken from oven and stand for 20 minutes to allow the juices to settle.
- Remove potatoes and keep covered with foil.
- Serve chicken with the potatoes, shallots and any remaining pan juices.
Download recipe PDF here