Gourmet Vegies Chef’s Combo Greek Feast combination of eggplant, tomatoes and oregano marry beautifully in this delicious dish
1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
2 large Eggplant Purple, thinly sliced
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g can of Sanitarium casserole mince (vegetarian)
1/2 cup (125ml) dry red wine
400g can Heinz big red tomato soup
1 cup (250ml) Campbell’s Real Stock Vegetable
1/4 cup finely chopped oregano
. cup finely chopped dill
Bechamel sauce –
3 cups (750ml) milk
1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
1 dried bay leaf
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
1/2 cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add one-quarter of the eggplant slices and cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden brown and tender. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggplant, in 3 more batches, adding more oil when necessary.
- Heat any remaining oil in the pan over high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add the casserole mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps for 5 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a simmer. Add the tomato soup, vegetable stock, oregano and dill and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. To make the bechamel sauce, combine the milk, onion, bay leaf and nutmeg in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain through a jug and discard solids.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over high heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and becomes grainy. Add the milk mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Grease a 12-cup (3 litre) capacity ovenproof dish. Spoon half the mince mixture into the dish. Layer with half the eggplant slices. Continue layering with remaining and eggplant. Pour the bechamel over the eggplant layer and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
Download recipe PDF here